Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Home Cookin' in the Country

It's been a crazy last few weeks, and I clearly have a little catching up to do! I've been traveling for work over the last two weeks (look for food highlights in a subsequent entry), recently completed a move to a new apartment in a new neighborhood, celebrated the Fourth of July and even turned a year older.

Needless to say, with all that's been going on, I've become a little negligent in my blogging duties. So, expect me to spend some time playing catch up over the next couple of weeks :)

You may have noticed that I'm trying out a new design template for the blog - jazzing things up a bit. Let me know if you like it.

On to this entry...

A few weeks back, some friends and I decided to embark on a "fake camping" adventure in the country. We stayed at the home of one friend's parents and enjoyed a country feast.

Our friend's mom prepared deliciously tender ribs from the Crock-Pot, which we accompanied with a tasty summer salad from Kowalski's, garlic mashed potatoes, fresh steamed green beans and a fruit salad of pineapple, strawberries and blackberries.

To call this meal amazing would be an understatement. Sometimes you just can't beat the simplicity of country-style home cooking.
To complement our "authentic" camping experience, we microwaved Fudge Stripe cookies with marshmallows. Perfectly gooey.

The best part of the experience was staying up late playing cards in a mosquito-free zone and ending the night in a real bed. Clearly, I'm so outdoorsy ;)

1 comment:

  1. I love the new look of the blog...like fireworks! I call this "mom" cooking...and it is sort of how I cook when I'm cooking and how my mom cooked. I've been gone so much lately that I not only haven't been cooking...I've gained 10 pounds eating out. As for camping...this is my idea of the best way to do it!

    ReplyDelete