Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer Brunch and an Afternoon Treat

During a friend's visit to MSP this summer, we spent a couple days dining at some old favorites and trying out some new hot spots. One particularly beautiful day, we went to French Meadow on Lyndale Avenue in Minneapolis, which falls into the old favorites category.
The atmosphere at French Meadow is relaxed and welcoming. During the day you place your order at the counter, choosing from delicious dishes made with fresh, local and organic ingredients. At night the ambiance is more intimate, with candlelight and many tables for two.
I ordered the breakfast burrito - an organic tortilla filled with organic eggs, black bean chili, cheddar, scallions and hash browns. It was served with chipotle sour cream and French Meadow's homemade salsa, as well as organic toast.

The burrito was very good. It was fresh and filling and had just a bit of a zip.
Later that afternoon, we tried out Patisserie 46, a new bakery in the Kingfield neighborhood in Minneapolis. The space was darling and busy. So busy, in fact, that the bakery case was running low on goodies by the time we arrived.
I was, however, very excited to see there was still one eclair left. I'd heard good things about the eclair from The Heavy Table, so I knew immediately that it would be my selection.

And, it was amazing. Crunchy and textured on the outside, rich and creamy on the inside. I really loved it. Paired with my bottle of root beer, it was a wonderful afternoon treat. I'm looking forward to my next visit to the tasty bakery.

2 comments:

  1. You had an eclair with rootbeer? *shudder* Coffee, tea, milk maybe hot chocolate...but, rootbeer??? It looks really good. The texture looks different than the norm.

    Why wasn't I surprised to see you had Mexican food at the first place? It sounds perfect...cute places!

    Thanks for always stopping by to see me...I'm glad you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you ask people to wait outside at french meadow? I've never seen an open seat in that place. You must have the insider's tip on when to frequent the place.

    ReplyDelete