Monday, December 5, 2011

Shabby Chic and Cheese!

Just before Thanksgiving, I ventured up to my favorite of the wee little cities for a short weekend adventure with one of my best gals. We spent Friday night in Pine City and then headed out on a mini road trip Saturday morning.

She and I (and her hubby makes three) started with dinner at the Wild Bamboo, perhaps Pine City's finest ethnic dining establishment :) I ordered the chicken lo mein, which I now believe is the same thing I ordered on my only other visit here. Good thing I like it! I'm drawn to the noodles with their opposite of wide egg noodle-look. I also love the big chunks of still-crunchy vegetables. 


After dinner, we headed to our friend's production of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown" at Pine City High School (catch the official trailer here on good ol' YouTube). Quite adorable. And a good reminder to enjoy all of those Charlie Brown holiday specials on now through Christmas.


After a lovely home-cooked breakfast (complete with my very first butter braid), we set out on the open road. Wide open spaces...headed to...Wisconsin! For cheese!

The Burnett Dairy Cheese Store in Alpha, Wis., was quite spectacular.


Surrounded by farmland and deer hunters ('tis the season).


The store kind of serves as your everything store...with a gift section, an ice cream counter, your everyday groceries and much more.


Like dairy case after dairy case of cheese.


I really, really love cheese. And it didn't take long for me to stock up on a number of Fancy-brand goods. Specifically a bacon ranch cheddar spread, cranberry muenster cheese (look for an upcoming post where I make grilled cheese with this), cheddar cheese sticks, salsa-flavored string cheese and an Alpha's Morning Sun (blend of cheddar and gruyere qualities with rosemary). Yummers.


And, somewhere between Wisconsin and Minnesota - after the snow began to fall - we came across this shabby chic little gift shop out on an old country road.


And, I found two little treasures. This charming little necklace for just $2.


And, this vintage tray for the low, low price of $3!


I'd been looking for a perfect little tray for my bedside table, so it's like it was meant to be. :)


20 Day Holiday Workout Challenge
Oh, and one other last little update. With the holidays drawing near, my renewed focus on fitness and a little inspiration from Iowa Girl Eats, I'm embarking on an aggressive goal to work out 20 days between now and Dec. 25. She's working out every weekday between Nov. 28 and Dec. 25, but, given that I was feeling pretty sub par much of last week, I have to use a few weekend days to meet the goal. Posting it here, so I stay accountable :)

Tuesday, Nov. 29: spinning and core classes at the gym
Thursday, Dec. 1: spinning and core classes at the gym
Sunday, Dec. 4: hot power fusion (yoga) at Corepower
Monday, Dec. 5: personal training session with my workout buddy at the gym 

1 comment:

  1. Fun places and things! I used to hate silver, I got a bunch for wedding presents and gave it all to my mom. Now, I have it all back, plus some of hers and I use it all over the house. I always thought of it as so formal and now that I use it in a more casual way that suits my taste...love it!

    ReplyDelete