Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Kings Wine Bar

Last night, some friends and I checked out the new-ish Kings Wine Bar at 46th and Grand in Minneapolis for drinks and appetizers.

The ambience was perfect for a chilly early fall evening - with great lighting and a cozy atmosphere. I was also impressed by how busy it was, especially for 8:30 p.m. on a Tuesday night. Seems like it has quickly become a popular neighborhood establishment.
Kings seemed to offer a fairly extensive wine and beer list, but I went straight for the girly Bellini, which turned out to be an excellent choice. I love the pairing of Prosecco and peach nectar. And, at $8, it didn't seem too overpriced.
My first glance at Kings' dinner menu was slightly overwhelming. Everything sounded so delicious and fantastically well-priced. I was torn between the small bites, the big bites and even the soup. In the end, I decided to share two of the small bites with my roommate: the tator tots served with a bacon and gruyere cheese sauce and the marsala chicken meatballs.

Both were good. However, I think I got a little too carried away with excitement and anticipation. By the time, they arrived at the table, I was expecting them to be the world's best tator tots and meatballs...so I was bound to experience some disappointment. Overall, I thought the presentation was great, and I'd award them a solid B grade on the taste scale. I was just expecting a bit more flavor in each of the sauces.

I was happy to see that Kings uses all natural ingredients from local farmers - a factor that will likely bring me back through its doors. Next time, I'm either going for the french onion soup or the fresh mozzarella and tomato sandwich...or maybe even brunch.

1 comment:

  1. Tator tots? Really? I must not go the right places, I've never seen them on a menu. I would certainly have the mozzarella and tomato sandwich...it is one of my favorite combinations. Mmm...

    Sue

    ReplyDelete