Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Chicken Bake

Seems like forever since I actually made a true dinner at home, but with fall in full swing, I took some time this weekend to prepare one of my favorite baked chicken dishes. I discovered the "Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole" recipe on the back of a Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup can a few years back, and I've been hooked ever since.

Before:
After:
This hearty meal combines ingredients from all four of the main food groups and can be served completely solo or paired with something small. I served it with some leftover bread from the Lund's bakery.

Cheesy Chicken & Rice Casserole Recipe
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup
1 1/3 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice (I usually go with brown rice and add a little extra)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Stir soup, water, rice, onion powder, black pepper and vegetables in 11x8-inch shallow baking dish (I typically just use the standard 9x13-inch). Top with chicken. Season chicken as desired. Cover. Bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until chicken and rice are done. Top with cheese. Let casserole stand for 10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love the easy recipes from the soup cans. When I first started cooking I think almost everything I made had Campbell's soup in it! I would want more cheese on mine!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a true casserole-loving Minnesotan, I think anything made with cream of chicken, mushroom, or potato soup is delish. I've seen this recipe on the back of the can before but never tried it--I think now I will! YUM.

    ReplyDelete