Thursday, April 15, 2010

Dina Temple-Raston Event at St. Thomas

Last night I attended the Minnesota Public Radio Broadcast Journalist Series with NPR's counterterrorism correspondent Dina Temple-Raston at the University of St. Thomas in Saint Paul. The event was moderated by Tom Crann, host of MPR's All Things Considered.

Spanning more than an hour, Temple-Raston engaged the audience with a fascinating and thought-provoking discussion about terrorism - both on American soil and abroad. She provided an insightful look into the reporting process - from working with government agencies to interviewing members of militant groups to the evolution of a story as more facts and details unfold.

I was so impressed by her presentation as a speaker that I went ahead and purchased one of her books: The Jihad Next Door. I'm hoping I'll be just as impressed by the written word.

The ability to attend community events of this nature is one of the things I love most about MSP. While no longer a student, I still always have the opportunity to learn and challenge my perceptions and understanding of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment