Monday, April 12, 2010

Easter Dessert

Okay, so I've been holding onto this one for a little too long. I'm not sure whether to be impressed or embarrassed with myself ;)

My mom randomly assigned me the responsibility of bringing dessert to Easter dinner this year. I thought long and hard about what to bring. One part of me wanted to wow everyone with a home-baked wonder. Another part of me wanted to rush out and buy my favorite, oh-so-expensive but oh-so-good classic vanilla cheesecake from Cafe Latte (pictured here).

In the end, my roommate inspired me with the idea of making Easter bunny cakes with my almost four-year-old nephew. Her idea won out.

I decided on two bunnies: one chocolate with chocolate frosting and one lemon with white frosting.
Neither of them came out looking as though they were made at the hands of a professional, but they were cute nonetheless. My nephew helped paint the green grass on each of the serving platters, but I'm pretty sure most of the frosting made its way into his mouth/all across his face.
Of course this experience wasn't without its drama. I neglected to purchase an adequate amount of frosting for either cake. Thankfully, my mom had extra chocolate frosting (although clearly not the same shade of brown as evidenced above), and my grandma made a pit stop at the grocery store for more butter cream frosting before coming to our house for dinner.

And, my mom was none to impressed with the mess I left in my wake. She might have gone so far as to suggest that I just be in charge of buns and milk next year to avoid making a mess of her kitchen.

In the end, everyone seemed pleased with the dessert options (it's pretty hard to screw up boxed cake) and at least a little bit humored by my creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment